Thursday, August 29, 2013

The Kindle: There and Back Again

When e-readers first gained popularity I was skeptical. How could an electronic book possibly create the same experience as traditional reading? 

Over the years, as video games, smart-phones, and other forms of electronic entertainment have expanded, I have grown fearful for my future children. Will the culture they grow up in allow them to enjoy reading as I do? Will they, like me, eat up books like the Hungry-Hungry Caterpillar, always wanting more? Or are they destined to live in a world where reading is seen only as a task, a skill to be mastered and forgotten like high-school algebra?

Hopefully the advent of e-readers will help prevent this horror from coming to fruition. I waited a few years before getting an e-reader of my own (I ended up with a Kindle) to ensure they were not just a passing trend. I am also reassured of their ability to enhance the reading experience because the plain e-reader still exists. I initially feared that the sleek devices would morph into a version of the iPad - and while it's true Amazon and other tablet manufacturers have creating reading apps for the higher-tech device, the plain reader is still thriving. 

My mother and I both use e-readers and traditional books. My reading habits have not changed - if anything I read more books. As I mentioned here, classic books have always been cheaper than contemporary works - with the Kindle most are free. Which is kind of great! I still read some paper books from the library and have used gift cards for book purchases. And I can't forget to mention my love of gorgeously glossy cookbooks (the Pioneer Woman has some of the prettiest cookbooks around). 

The only true drawback to e-readers, and even this could be considered a stretch, is the lack of borrowing. Sure, many local libraries are expanding their e-book collections, but you can't exactly lend your friend a book if you bought the e-version. My Mom and I sync our devices to the same Amazon account, so we share books freely, but I believe there is a limit to the number of devices. 

Shortly after I got my Kindle (as a Christmas gift) J and I were sitting on the couch, scrolling through our Netflix queue. Needless to say, I was not paying much attention - I was far to absorbed in reading - and J grumpily hurumphed, saying he "couldn't get me away from that thing." I guess I was submitting to my aforementioned fear - that electronics would take over . . . sort of. 

3 comments:

  1. I also love my kindle. I would rather read then do anything else. With my e-reader I'm NEVER without a book. On my kindle the daily deals often turn out to be really good books I may not have chosen if they weren't so low in price.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! And if you sign up as an Amazon Prime member you can often borrow books from their e-collection for three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree 100%. I've found I read faster with the Kindle because I can make the text so big. And with the ability to sync across devices, I can do a quick bit of reading at work, either on my phone or my computer.

    ReplyDelete