Monday, August 19, 2013

The Literary Scone Society

I mentioned in my first post that I am a member of a rather prestigious book club - The Literary Scone Society. I'll pause while you laugh at our name. 

We've been together for just over two years now and only recently decided on a proper name. We thought "literary" needed to be in our name to categorize us (should some Societal Registration Crazy demand to know our mission). "Scone" came about because one of our founding members, heretofore referred to as Trixie, makes the best scones this side of the Mississippi River. We're not necessarily in the market for more members, but if we were membership would most certainly be nullified if you didn't like scones. Last summer we read a slew of books "with food in the title" and The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer fit the bill quite nicely and inspired our group name (it was an excellent, excellent book, highly recommend). Trixie also wanted to be a "society" so she could feel as if she were in a super-secret club - which is also funny because in Potato the society is literally a secret during German occupation of a small island off the coast of Normandy. 

Not only did the book inspire our group name, it also made us want to visit Guernsey. 

That's the thing about reading - it inspires you to add to your bucket list, try new things (like potato peel pie, yuck), and make new friends. When I joined book club, then just three people, I did it on a whim because Trixie and M had been reading The Help and I was looking forward to the movie release. Now, two years later I consider Trixie, M, C, and L my closest friends out here in the Mighty MO. 

I guess that's part of what I love about books - the way they can bring people together. Reading is a great conversation topic (at least in my book - man, my dad would be proud of that pun), and when you move 900 miles from home you need a lot of those in your arsenal!

2 comments:

  1. I work in a retirement community and share books with one of the residents, a gentleman of 96 years. We both enjoy conspiracy thrillers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I highly recommend The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - it was so great! All of the characters are hilarious and the historical context leaves quite an impression.

    ReplyDelete